Breastfeeding is one of the real pregnancy issues that most women suffer due to low breast milk supply. But, natural herbs are always at the rescue. We’ll tell you about some of the breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply naturally.
Why Your Breasts Are Not Making Enough Milk For The Baby?
There are plenty of reasons that contribute to low breast milk supply in mothers such as:
- Insufficient milk-making ducts
- Hormonal problems like thyroid, diabetes, PCOS, or hypertension
- Damage due to breast surgery
- Use of hormonal birth control
- Taking medications like bromocriptine and pseudoephedrine
- Using ingredients like peppermint, sage, and parsley in your diet
- Frequent breastfeeding results in slow production of milk as your breasts are already filled with milk
- Medication during labour
- Using breastfeeding supplements earlier
What To Do For Increasing Milk Supply?
Herbs may help but take only on the recommendation of a doctor. Here are few natural breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply:
Fenugreek or methi dana is not only a wonderful ingredient to lose weight but also boost your pumping ability. Thus, it is also used in the lactation teas and recipes.
How to use:
- Boil1 tbsp of fenugreek in one cup of water. Drink this lactation tea 2-3 times daily.
- Take fenugreek capsule supplements(only after consulting the doctor)
Words of Caution
- Not good for mothers with a sensitive stomach as it causes digestive issues in them
- Avoid if you’ve thyroid, diabetes, and other hormonal issues
- Do not consume fenugreek if you are allergic to foods like chickpeas, peanuts, and legumes
You might have used fennel in ample recipes, now try this liquorice flavour herb for improving the breast’s ability to produce more milk.
Ways to consume fennel:
- Add fennel in the salads, sauce, or fish recipes, and soups
- Chew roasted fennel seeds
- Fennel supplements
- Make fennel tea by adding 1-3 tbsps of fennel seeds to 8 ounces of water. Boil it for 10 minutes and enjoy the drink in the morning.
- Risk of seizure is more in those with a seizure disorder
- Fennel results in low blood sugar thus mothers having hypoglycemia should avoid it or use it with caution
- Do not consume too much fennel as it would reduce the breast milk supply instead of boosting the production
Medicago sativa or alfalfa is a medicinal herb that is known to treat kidney problems, arthritis, and other medical issues since ages. It is also good for lactating mothers as alfalfa has phytoestrogens.
These components help in producing milk. Know how to use it :
- Eat alfalfa sprouts
- Make a tea using sun-dried alfalfa leaves
- breast engorgement
- React with medicines used for blood thinning, so consult before taking alfalfa in case you are on any such medications
- Worst for those with auto-immune disorders
4. Goat’s Rue
A pretty-poison, goat’s rue is a natural galactagogue which can be used in tuberculosis treatment, boosting the supply of milk in mothers, and improving blood sugar levels.
But, it works best when used in dried form as fresh goat’s rue is poisonous and dangerous for health. So, use only dry goat’s rue leaves to make lactation tea. Capsules are the easy way to consume it.
- Do not take this herb if you have allergy to fenugreek, soybean, peanuts, and foods that come from the pea family.
- Although it is good for improving blood sugar level, it is not recommended for those who already have too low blood sugar or hypoglycemia.
Breastfeeding moms can rely on ginger for a while as it’s galactagogues and anti-bacterial that improves immunity. Using it is very simple as it already goes in most of the recipes.
But, for a change, you can try ginger ale, tea, raw ginger root, and dry ginger supplements as well.
Generally, ginger is safe and cure for all diseases(not all exactly but most of them). But, an inch of ginger can cause many side effects in some mothers like:
- Upset stomach
- More bleeding if they are suffering from bleeding issues
- Lower blood sugar to extremely low level
- Interferes with certain medicines used in the treatments of blood pressure, blood thinning, diabetes, and heart conditions.
Apart from these natural supplements for breastfeeding, you can also use garlic, milk thistle, stinging nettle, and more. Whatever you take, please consult your doctor’s first and avoid excessive consumption.