The concept of online or virtual therapy might not be digested by everyone but at the time of covid-19, it’s the only hope. Although it has some limitations, which are the only reason why some people don’t even consider it as therapy; but there are good reasons to choose teletherapy as well.
We’ll introduce the lesser-known benefits of virtual therapy, how does it work, and the best online therapy platforms for you.
Never Heard of Virtual Therapy? Here’s An Introduction To It
Online therapy or e-counselling involves the use of digital platforms like video chat or e-mail to delivers healthcare services to a patient sitting at a remote location.
The counselling continues for nearly half an hour or up to one hour depending upon the schedule period, and the patient’s need. It’s completely an in-person meeting or session where an expert psychological therapist or counsellor provides counselling and medical prescription to the patients.
Know The Importance Of Teletherapy/E-Therapy
Mental health is a cause of concern not only among the patients but also among the healthy individual. And at the time of covid-19, it has become a topic of serious concern even more than before.
Online/virtual therapy is, thus, a need for everyone especially for those who rarely understand mental health issues. Stress, anxiety, depression, not only seems the same but also getting help is the least concern for them.
That’s because of the social stigma that made them believe that these mental health issues are not even a disease that needs treatment. Thus, many individuals ignore their condition and continue to suffer throughout their life. And when stress or depression comes over them, suicide seems the only solution.
Talking to somebody who is a specialist and expert in these health issues can lower the symptoms in those individuals, thus preventing the suicidal tendency.
The International Society for Mental Health Online is, therefore, formed to raise mental awareness, promote e-therapy and counselling to help and support such people.
And with the rise in the digital era, various platforms are joining the hands with ISMHO to make the mental health services more accessible.
Benefits Of Virtual Therapy
- Not everyone has access to medical health services especially those who live in a remote geographical area. For those, online therapy is a cost-effective solution.
- Virtual therapy benefits most to the disable and housebound people without depending on anyone else for their mental healthcare
- In terms of convenience and affordability, the benefits of virtual therapy are the same for both patients and therapists who cannot afford a clinical setting.
- E-counselling makes your visit to a real therapist even more effective as you can gain prior knowledge about your mental health conditions
- Teletherapy is HIPAA-complaint which means all the personal and health-related information is safe over the digital platforms
- One of the benefits of virtual therapy that overpower traditional therapy is its anonymity. Therefore, those who want to hide their face and identity can go for e-counselling carefree.
- Patients are not bound to visit therapists within their area. They can select therapists around the world depending on their budget and mental health conditions.
- Not every state provides the insurance for e-therapy so check whether your state offers it or not before making an appointment
- Although e-counselling helps in dealing with common mental health issues such as stress or anxiety, it does not cover the most complex psychological conditions
- Body language plays a vital role in understanding the condition of an individual. But, the ease of going anonymous hinders with the effectiveness of therapy
3 Best Online Platforms For Teletherapy 2020
Here are the best virtual platforms where you can seek the first help to cope with stress, anxiety, and less-severe mental health issues. But, don’t assume them as an alternative to traditional medical help. Consult your doctor in case your condition is serious.
Amwell truly cares for your mental health and thus provides its services 24/7. It also offers health insurance coverage that’s why Amwell is the best of the best.
Whether it’s anxiety, trauma, bipolar disorder, alcoholism, or emotional issue, 7 cups is a handy platform. It’s available 24/7, suits everyone’s budgets, have licensed therapist, and offer both free as well as a paid subscription.
Betterhelp offers 24 hours services via more than 12,000 licensed counsellors, therapists, and psychiatrists. They communicate with patients via live chat, video conferencing, and telephonic communication. It also offers financial assistance but to entail the service one has to meet certain criteria.
There are more online paid platforms with licensed therapists that suit an individual from a different phase of life. Check below:
- ReGain for couples
- Teen counselling
- Pride counselling for LGBTQ+
- Doctor on Demand for one-to-one video sessions
Good mental health is more important to stay physically and emotionally fit. So, take the help of online therapy without waiting for the world to resume the normalcy. Virtual therapy is the new normal now but not a replacement to traditional treatment.