Eating more, still not gaining weight! That’s what every skinny boy or girl says and believes. But simply eating more would not turn them from skinny to fat. One has to eat right in order to add extra pounds to their body weight. We bet you don’t know about those healthy ways to gain pounds that’s why you are here. Our weight gain diet tips will guide you.
Weight Gain Diet Tips
One of the first and very basic weight gain tips is to increase calorie intake because calories are closely associated with weight. But, we rarely bother about the calories, Isn’t it? That is the reason why some people fail in their weight-loss or weight-gain mission because they don’t know how much calories they are getting and how much to lose to cut the fat.
So, take the calories seriously if you don’t want to be skinny anymore.
How Many Calories To Eat For Weight Gain?
Experts say that the right approach is to increase the calorie bar just by 300-500 more than the daily calorie intake which is 2000 calories.
This will help you gain weight slowly and if you want to rev up the weight gain process then increase the intake by 700-1000 calories a day. This totals 3000 calories a day which can lead to 1-2 pound weight gain in a week.
But, not everyone’s condition is the same so as their calorie needs. For instance, a woman needs more calories than that of a man because their body burns 5-10 percent more. And this calorie-burning rate declines with age both in man and woman.
On the other hand, taller people need more calories because their weight is more distributed than those in shorter people. Apart from age, gender, and height, lifestyle and physical activities also determine the number of calories one needs. Confused?
Here’s how you can determine the calories requirement on the basis of these factors:
- Adult women who live sedentary lifestyles should aim for 16,00 calories to stay healthy and increasing it by 300 range can lead to weight gain.
- Women who are active need 2400 calories per day and should increase the calorie range by 500 to gain 1 pound in a week. But do not forget the exercises.
- Adult men require 2000 if they have a sedentary lifestyle whereas this is 3000 calories a day for active men.
The next step is to add calorie-rich foods to your diet but there are both junk and healthy foods rich in calories. Although the choice is yours, this time you have got only one choice i.e healthy high-calorie foods.
Check out below to know about foods high in calories.
Healthy Foods For Weight Gain Diet
Junks give you no nutrition that’s why it turns you fat and not fit. So, rely on these calorie-rich foods to gain weight in a healthy way:
- Almost all dairy products like kefir, cheese, and milk provide enough calories. And it not only adds calories to your body but also builds muscle.
- Eat rice for getting enough calories in just one serving i.e. 204 calories in 158 grams(1 cup).
- Nuts are important because you can get approx 170 calories from a handful of nuts like almonds. Plus they have healthy fats, fiber, and protein. You can even include nuts butter in the diet.
- Toasted sweet potatoes with mashed avocadoes and fried egg can fulfill your calorie goal at once. Per serving gives you 300 calories so it’s a perfect snack.
- A wild salmon fillet, whether smoked, baked, or grilled, can give you 250 calories
- Add some dried fruits to your protein shakes or smoothies to get antioxidants, fiber, and of course a lot of calories at once
- If you like cereals then must add granola to your list as one-half cup gives you 300 calories.
Eat More Meals
Most people either have their breakfast or lunch and dinner is obviously there. But, to gain weight in a healthy way one has to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with 2 times snacks.
So, eat every two hours but keep the proportion small so that you don’t gain fat. Also, eat only healthy snacks that do not fill your tummy much but keep the hunger pangs at bay.
Knowing when to have snacks is again crucial info for those who really want to add kilos to their weight. The ideal time is to eat snacks 2 hours before the meal.
What to have in snacks? That’s again a difficult thing to decide because your snacks can add more than the needed calories in your meal. We have a solution for this too, here are some healthy snacks options for weight gain:
- Munch on the nuts and dried fruits( only a handful of them)
- One slice of cheese and bread
- Full cream milk for night snacks
- Fruit salads
- Hard-boiled egg
- Protein bars
- Crackers and hummus
- Tortilla chips, tofu, and salsa with sour cream
- Roasted chickpeas
- Avocado toast
- A dark chocolate bar and quarter cup almonds
Besides these weight gain diet tips, you should know which weight-gain exercise can help you in the process. Squats, pull-ups, push-ups, lunges, and overhead press are good for beginners, both male and female. But, do not go for cardio and aerobic as it would tone your muscles.
These were the basic weight gain diet and tips. For more personalized recommendations about diet and exercises consult a nutritionist.