Natural therapies always leave us wondering how the use of simple-looking objects and plants can improve our overall health. Gua Sha is one such therapy(usually a massage) that involves the use of gua sha stones to scrape your skin in a downward motion.
The stones are a smooth, shiny, and carved tool of different shapes which when dragged on the skin improves the blood flow. Gua sha massage offers more such health benefits when done properly.
Read further to know about this traditional Chinese therapy, it’s amazing benefits, techniques, and uses.
Know What Gua Sha Therapy Is All About
Gua Sha or Gwahshah is a Chinese word which means “to scrape” and that’s why it’s also known as skin scraping or coining. It does not scrape out the dead skin cells of the body but improves the flow of qi or chi.
Chi is the Chinese word for energy which when trapped or blocked in one part of the body causes pain. By balancing or unblocking the chi, muscle pain and stiffness can be eased.
Apart from balancing chi, Gua Sha also aims to improve the blood stagnation which is also one of the causes of chronic pain.
What Gua Sha Is Used For?
Gua Sha massage is effective in treating chronic pain and muscle pain. But, it is also effective in other medical conditions such as:
- Migraine headaches
- Good for breastfeeding mothers as it reduces the breast engorgement(a condition where the pain in breasts occur due to overfilling of the milk)
- Ease neck pain
- Beneficial for women in the menopause phase
- Treat lungs problem
- Help in the recovery of the muscles after weight training
- Can improve liver inflammation but research regarding this benefit of gua sha is limited
- For face slimming
The last-mentioned benefits of gua sha might have raised your curiosity. Well, it’s true and several gua sha stones and tools are available in the stores so that you can get its skin benefit at your home.
To know more about the tools used in gua sha, read further.
Gua Sha Facial Massage And Technique
Gua Sha massage is popular among females as it has ample skin benefits. Whether it’s acne, wrinkles, dullness, dry, or loose skin, gua sha massage restores the skin glow. But, it also leaves bruises on your skin.
Well, the scars will go after a few days but the results will stay if you do it properly. Booking a gua sha massage session at the spas is the best bet.
Gua sha practitioner uses a hand-held tool to apply the correct pressure on the skin. The tool is made of different materials such as rose quartz, jade, stone, and bian. Jade is common among all of them where each jade has different healing properties.
And not just the type of jade differs, but its price also differs. For instance, Xiuyan jade is a less expensive option in comparison to Nephite jade. By the way, each stone heals differently but the correct use makes more difference than the type of tool being used.
Here’s the right technique to use gua sha stones.
- Apply a cream, serum, or moisturizer on your skin first to lessen the friction.
- Gently move the flat side of gua sha stone right from the neck to the chin in an upward direction.
- Perform likewise for all the sides thrice
- Now, move the stone from the chin’s base to the cheekbones. Do this three times for each side.
- Use a different side of the tool(one with less area) to scrape the nose. Start from the one-half of the nose, move towards the upper cheekbones till the temples. Again do it three times for each side of the face.
Use the stone gently or else you’ll end up with deep red scars that you probably don’t want to get, right!
Is It Safe?
If you prefer Gua Sha for relieving pain, get it done by an expert for more assured benefits and experiencing less pain. It’s safe as long as you are not considering the pain and sha(red bruises) in your safety list.
Ibuprofen or applying ice-pack on the inflamed skin will ease the pain that comes from bruises. But, make sure that the practitioners use a sterilized tool for the treatment.
Not only this but also take your medical condition into account before booking a therapy session. As gua sha is not good when you have:
- Unhealed infection or wound
- Bleeding disorder
- Skin disorder
- Blood-thinning issue
- Underwent an implant surgery recently
- Undergoing chemotherapy
- Avoid it if you’re pregnant or having periods
Gua sha is effective therapy and massage to cure the body from inside though it’s a painful therapy. However, not all the benefits of gua sha massage are studied by the researchers.
But, gua sha facial massage is said to have positive results in reducing the wrinkles, acne, and other skin issues. It has few risks as well in case it’s not done by an expert. So, only trust the experts.